And just like that, the Giants are in the NLCS. Most of what you’ll read about today’s game will focus on Buster Posey’s grand slam in the fifth inning. And, to be honest, it was a huge hit for the Giants, pushing the lead to 6-0, and reminding us that Buster Posey is the truth and the light. Hitting a grand slam off Mat Latos in a elimination playoff game is exactly what nourishes my baseball soul.
Buster Posey should earn NL MVP honors and his year continues to be amazing. I can’t remember a more panic sweat inducing game. The Giants go up 6-0 on Posey’s slam and the Reds claw and fight their way back into the game. The bullpen does an overall pretty good job and Romo guts out the ninth for the save.
This at-bat in the 9th inning by Jay Bruce with two runners on gave me chest pains.
I mean, holy crap.
Other stray thoughts:
* I’m pretty sure that I’m totally cool with never having to look at Ryan Ludwick again, ever. If my life ends without having to watch another single Ludwick AB against the Giants, I’m the better for it.
* If I could somehow embed the Charlie Brown sad music into this Ryan Hanigan reaction GIF to Posey’s slam, I would.
Not being a dick, but I totally would.
* Romo threw 35 pitches over 1.1 innings to earn the save. It was the most pitches from Romo in a game since he threw 46 pitches in 2008 against the Rockies over three innings.
* The ‘hold’ stat is kind of stupid, but I’m fine with it right now. The bullpen did a great job today.
And you get a hold and you get a hold and you get a hold.
* Final thought: The Giants are in the NLCS. Yes, please, and thank you.