Ah, yes. I love projection systems, especially ZiPS.
Dan Szymborski — creator of ZiPS — has posted his projections online today for the 2011 Giants squad. Go give them a look-see.
Points of interest:
* The Giants have 6 players (Posey, Sandoval, Huff, Belt, Ross, Burrell) with an OPS+ of 100 or greater.
* ZiPS has Sandoval bouncing back to a 118 OPS+ or the slash-line equivalent of .295/.346/.474. I think everyone would take that line in a heart beat.
* Thomas Neal (OPS+ 93) gives the Giants a little bit of depth near the MLB team if a corner outfielder flames out. Also, check out Peguero’s (OPS+ 91) line.
* Andres Torres takes a hit on offense (OPS+ 99) but if his defense remains in the +5-10 range, he’s still a very good option for CF.
* The rotation, by ERA+, is sexy: Linecum (150), Cain (129), Sanchez (114), Bumgarner (106), and Zito (100)
* The bullpen looks strong, too. I love Romo’s projection (ERA+ 148, 54.3 IP). The Giants have 9 relievers with an ERA+ of 100 or better. I’ll take the under on Ramon Ramirez’s projection (ERA+ 118, 66 IP).
The best part of the ZiPS writeup? This closing line from Dan: “Oh yeah, ZiPS loves Brandon Belt and at least in the short term has him as the best 1B prospect in baseball.“