The Giants dispatch the Rockies 8-0 in a much needed win that pushes their season total to 4 in the big ‘W’ column. With Zito’s tendencies as a slow starter I feared for his life in Coors. A curveball pitcher in high altitude? Ick. I was prepared for a blood bath but Zito and his curveball navigated the thin aired environment very well.
Can we call this a winning streak? Does 2 in a row count as a streak? Who cares. The way that this season has started, 2 wins in a row is like finding a T-Bone steak in your freezer after eating vegetarian hot pockets for a week straight. Here’s my bold prediction to go along with the highs and lows of this game. If Zito can throw 6 innings of shutout baseball each time he starts, he might be, just might be worth his contract.
- Barry Zito throws an excellent game in the very unfriendly, humidor or not, Coors field. Zito grabbed his first win as a Giant while tossing 6 innings of 3 hit shut out ball. Zito’s good game earns him the highest WPA for the Giants at (.166)
- Ray Durham hit his first home run of the year, a 3 run shot in the third after Bonds had worked a walk. Durham ranks second in WPA for the night, coming in at (.148)
- Omar raised his average from .189 to .262 with a 4 for 5 2 RBI night at the plate. Also mixing in a couple of defensive gems. See you later Mendoza!
- Watching a pinch hitting Steve Finely weakly ground into a inning ending double play filled me with way more joy than it should have.
- Not many in a very nicely played game, and this is nitpicking, but Bonds just barely missed another home run. Four inches higher and long single would have cleared the right field wall.
- Randy Winn is still looking lost at the plate and botched an easy fly ball as a defensive replacement. Has Randy Winn caught Jason Ellison-itis?
The Giants offense looked good tonight and I like the idea of having Rich batting 3rd against LHP’s. Against RHP’s I still prefer Bonds in the 3rd spot but Rich hits lefties so nicely he fits well in front of Bonds when facing southpaws. I think that Bonds probably won’t be hitting 3rd much more this year. Bochy seems to be satisfied batting him cleanup again.
Did anyone else notice Zito’s new mustache? With mustache 1-0, without mustache, 0-2. We must never let Zito shave again.