The good news is that baseball is finally back. No more spring training, the real thing is here. The bad news? The Giants dropped their home opener in what seemed to be a eery extension of 2006. Here is some points of interest that dawned upon me while I watched todays game.
- Barry Bonds really looks to be running well. He looked good chasing down some fly balls and he even stole 2nd base in the first inning. This was the coolest thing to happen during the game.
- I know Barry Zito isn’t a power pitcher but he was seriously straddling the Kirk Reuter zone today. For the first four innings Zito’s fastball was topping out around 83-84mph on FSN Bay Area’s radar gun. Maybe Rags should let Zito try out that altered delivery? The Padres looked totally comfortable against Zito at the plate. Maybe signing a pitcher for 7 years isn’t such a good idea? Ugh.
- Despite Zito’s lack of a fastball, he pitched decently. Pedro Feliz continues to be the most frustrating Giant to watch as he commited a crucial error that cost the Giants a double play.
- The bullpen looked unimpressive. I don’t want to read too much into one game into the season but the Giants desperately need for someone to step up in the pen and provide some solidity.
- FSN Bay Area should really get rid of Cammy Blackstone on the broadcasts. I can’t stand the generic “lady reporter in the stands” that banters on about nothing during the game. Besides bugging Robby Thompson, who really cares about garlic fries that don’t have trans fat?
- The offense looked bad today and the thought of Molina and Feliz hitting back-to-back is indeed what nightmares are made of. I wonder if their combined OBP will top .600?
- I nominate Kevin Correia and his Jeff Weaver-esqe hairstyle as the worst hair on the Giants. What are you thinking Kev?
Is todays game a microcosm of the Giants or a outlier? For fans that watched the 2006 season you can’t help but shake the similarities. Poor bullpen work, mediocre starting, and a punch-less lineup. Take a deep breath and remind yourself that it’s only one game into 162. Almost everything that could go wrong, went wrong today. That’s gotta change at some point right? …Right?